Company History
1930’s / 1940’s
Founded April 28, 1931, when automotive pioneer, industrialist, and philanthropist Charles Stewart Mott acquired the lands, mill, and other assets from the bankrupt Southern Sugar Company and transformed those assets into United States Sugar Corporation.

U.S. Sugar History No stranger to building businesses, Mott had taken a small family business that produced wire bicycle wheels and parlayed it into major stock ownership of General Motors.

Mott brought in experts in cane growing and production from Louisiana, Cuba, and the West Indies. Sugar production increased, the company grew, and by 1941, a profitable Florida sugar industry had been established.

Under Mott’s leadership the mill expanded and consistently set records as the most efficient single-tandem mill in the world.

1950’s / 1960’s
In 1959, the company increased its milling operations with the construction of an additional facility on the southeastern rim of Lake Okeechobee. When opened in 1962, the Bryant Sugar House was the world’s most modern mill, with a capacity of 5,000 tons per day and designed for expansion.

1980’s
By the early 80’s, U.S. Sugar Corporation was the largest sugar producer in the state and Florida had become the largest sugar-producing state in the country. Setting the Company apart from other area sugar operations were its internal transportation system, linking the sugarcane fields with the mills, and its extensive research facility that bred more than 125,000 new varieties of sugar cane each year.

In the mid 80’s, employees became the largest shareholders in the Company through an ESOP (Employee Stock Ownership Plan). Today the Company is primarily owned by its employees and charitable foundations set up by Mr. Mott – The C.S. Mott Foundation and The Mott Children’s Health Center.

1990’s
In October 1998, U.S. Sugar opened a new cane sugar refinery. The first fully-integrated cane sugar refinery in the nation, this facility had an initial capacity to produce 540,000 tons per year. In 2002, the refinery was expanded, taking capacity to over 600,000 tons a year. Additionally, liquid sugar production was added to its capabilities.

2000’s
Today the 5.5-acre, 300,000 sq. ft. facility includes processing, packaging, and warehousing, servicing both consumer / retail markets and bulk industrial customers.

In October 2010 the company sold 26,800 acres of land to the South Florida Water Management District for Everglades restoration.

Download U.S. Sugar History in pdf.